Carol's News and Vues

Welcome! Please take the time to add your own comments so this blog can encourage an exchange of ideas. You can comment anonymously. Since George Bush finally did get elected, we have much to be concerned about in the next four years. I guess that means that this blog will continue.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Study War No More

Read the words of Camilo Mejia who spent 8 months in Iraq and then refused to go back, filing instead for Conscientious Objector status. He was convicted of desertion and went to jail. He was released from prison this week.

Here are excerpts from his article, "Regaining My Humanity."

By putting my weapon down, I chose to reassert myself as a human being.

One of the reasons I did not refuse the war from the beginning was that I was afraid of losing my freedom. Today, as I sit behind bars, I realize that there are many types of freedom, and that inspite of my confinement, I remain free in many important ways. What good is freedom if we are afraid to follow our conscience? What good is freedom if we are not able to live with our own actions?

To read Mejia's article in full, click on the blog title above or click here:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/printer_021705Z.shtml

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home